Are you an enthusiastic programmer with a passion for AI systems and an interest in game design? Then this might be the ideal work for you!
We are now hiring a skilled AI Programmer to reinforce the team bringing our game worlds to life, through believable non-playable characters and wildlife. You’ll play a fundamental role in creating fun and engaging gameplay experiences.
About the job
As part of our friendly AI team your primary focus will be creating, implementing and maintaining a robust core AI system to be utilized throughout the game. This includes developing systems for decision-making, movement, combat and interaction. You will work iteratively in collaboration with the Game Director and Designers to craft believable behaviors, reactions and natural-looking movement for all of our NPC types.
Each team member at Arrowhead has an important influence on the game and is involved in the decision-making process. We offer a driven and creative environment where small groups work independently within cross-disciplinary feature teams. It is crucial that you can not only plan and manage your own work efficiently, but also have strong collaboration skills.
- Design, implement, and maintain gameplay-centric AI systems (navigation, combat, positioning, pathfinding, decision logic, etc.).
- Build and implement well-engineered, scalable solutions with memory, performance and network stability taken into account.
- Take responsibility for delivering a great end-user experience.
- Support and collaborate with other feature teams, focusing on the game experience as a whole.
- Excellent understanding of C/C++.
- A few years of professional AI programming experience in the video games industry.
- Experience with client/server architectures and multiplayer game programming.
- A strong math foundation in linear algebra, vectors and matrices.
- Interest in game design and creating an enjoyable gaming experience.
- Interest and willingness to learn tools, new techniques and stay up to date with what is happening in the field.
- Good collaboration and communication skills with a cooperative attitude.
- Good English communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong understanding of AI architectures, algorithms, and collision avoidance techniques.
- Experience working with both console and PC games, in particular co-op titles.
- Experience working with character scripting, animation state machines, animation blending and similar techniques.
- Experience solving complex vehicle AI problems (navigation, route planning, steering).
We see the perfect candidate as having a strong motivation for completing and pushing the game forward as a whole. You have a particular passion for the development of game AI and for exploring what makes enjoyable gameplay. With a cooperative mindset you enjoy collaborating with other teams in your daily work. Ideally you have a few years of experience developing and shipping AI for big game projects and would like to move to a personal studio with a grand vision.
Scope: Full-time and permanent
If you think that this position matches your background and skills, we would love to hear from you. We ask that your application always include relevant work samples or a link to your portfolio.
To apply for this position please fill out the form below and include your resume, a brief cover letter, and portfolio/work samples. Alternatively, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your application, please focus on why your skills and experiences would be great for this role and why you would like to join Arrowhead Game Studios. We interview candidates continuously and hire when we find a good fit, so it is recommended you apply as soon as possible. If you live outside of the country, please also be aware that we are unable to offer relocation packages at this time, and you must have a valid working permit.
About Arrowhead Game Studios
Arrowhead Game Studios is a growing team of about 40 people, known for our co-op titles. By challenging the creativity of the players we create a memorable experience with humour and social interaction, that leaves you with a story to tell. Our custom tailored new offices are located in the newly developed Stockholm Seaside area, with a lovely view at the waterfront.
We are now working on our biggest and most ambitious project to date. If you want to be part of a driven and friendly team with a family feeling, then Arrowhead is the place to be!
arrowheadgamestudios.com ~ 40 co-workers