Are you creative, driven and eager to help take Arrowhead’s games to the next artistic level? Then we would very much like to hear from you!
We are looking for a flexible and inspiring art leader passionate about games, to take on the role of our Art Director. You will drive the visuals of our games towards a cohesive and striking style, and guide our art teams towards excellence.
About the job
As our Art Director you help lead the visual development and style for our current game project and future titles to come. You’ll be a creative experimenter as well as a leader for our talented art team, and work with concept, environment, VFX, UI and characters among other things. In close collaboration with the Game Director, you’ll be responsible of creating and communicating the aesthetic vision to the team, and translating it into the game.
Each team member at Arrowhead has an important influence on the game and is involved in the decision-making process. We offer a driven and creative environment where small groups work independently within cross-disciplinary feature teams. It is crucial that you can plan and manage your own work efficiently, and also have strong collaboration skills.
- Establish a high level aesthetic vision with consistent style and fidelity, and work together with the Game Director and teams to make it a reality.
- Provide clear and inspiring visual direction to the team, giving guidance and feedback across all artistic areas.
- Create and update style guides and reference material for the team and partners, to ensure a unified visual direction.
- Conduct research and find new solutions to achieve higher aesthetic standards for the project and company.
- Plan and specify delivery goals with your team, as well as review results and adapt accordingly.
- Mentor and support more junior artists to achieve overall goals and personal artistic development.
- Assist with hiring, training, and developing the art team.
- Occasionally support PR & company branding with creating a unified style across the company’s game channels.
- 3-5 years of experience as an Art Director or equivalent on 3D game projects demonstrating a high visual bar.
- Broad experience across game art disciplines including concept, character, environment, VFX and lighting, animation, etc.
- Good understanding of the game development pipeline, and proficiency with tools like Photoshop, Maya, Substance and Zbrush.
- A strong creative side, with excellent fundamental artistic skills and a trained eye for quality and execution.
- Great with visual communication and you can craft moodboards, concept art, style guides and quickly do mock-ups to get your ideas across.
- An avid gamer yourself, and you bring relevant insights from your gaming experiences into your work.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills. You have a cooperative attitude and ability to give constructive and positive feedback.
- Organized leadership and good planning and time-management skills.
- Good English communication skills (verbal and written).
- Previously shipped AAA-level projects as an Art Lead, Director or similar.
- Experience working successfully with outsource partners.
- Some insight into all game development disciplines and understanding of how your direction will affect other team’s work.
- Knowledge of technical constraints, implementation and optimization.
Our Art Director needs to be inventive, responsive and passionate about supporting our art teams to do their best work. We believe you are explorative and highly driven with the capacity to step back and view the full picture, as well as focus in on the important details.
You bring your aesthetic passion to all areas of the project with a positive outlook, and you’re great at getting people working with you hyped about common goals. You have a genuine interest in listening to every member of your team, inspiring action and confidence. Coworkers appreciate your clarity and flexibility in communication, and you make it a point to evaluate their feedback and allow room for their ideas.
Scope: Full-time and permanent
If you think that this position matches your background and skills, we would love to hear from you. We ask that your application always include relevant work samples or a link to your portfolio.
To apply for this position please fill out the form below and include your resume, a brief cover letter, and portfolio/work samples. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com
In your application, please focus on why your skills and experiences would be great for this role and why you would like to join Arrowhead Game Studios. We interview candidates continuously and hire when we find a good fit, so it is recommended you apply as soon as possible. If you live outside of the country, please also be aware that we are unable to offer relocation packages at this time, and you must have a valid working permit.
About Arrowhead Game Studios
Arrowhead Game Studios is a growing team of about 40 people, known for our co-op titles. By challenging the creativity of the players we create a memorable experience with humour and social interaction, that leaves you with a story to tell. Our custom tailored new offices are located in the newly developed Stockholm Seaside area, with a lovely view at the waterfront.
We are now working on our biggest and most ambitious project to date. If you want to be part of a driven and friendly team with a family feeling, then Arrowhead is the place to be!
arrowheadgamestudios.com ~ 40 co-workers