Environment Artist – Nature
Are you a skilled game artist with the capacity to step back and view the big picture, as well as hone in on details? Is everything about creating natural environments your thing? Then we want to hear from you!
We are now hiring an artist that will strengthen the team that build our outdoor levels, someone who will have a strong focus on nature assets – like trees, rocks and vegetation.
About the job
As an Environment Artist you will create high-quality natural assets for PC and consoles. You are expected to take your assets all the way from conceptual mockups, to modeling and texturing, to final placement in the environment. We are mainly looking for someone who is proficient with a realistic style but it is a bonus if you can adapt to other art styles as well. You will work closely with our Level Designers and Game Director to bring our game world to life, shaping it into a believable and immersive place.
Each team member at Arrowhead has an important influence on the game and is involved in the decision-making process. We offer a driven and creative environment where small groups work independently within cross-disciplinary feature teams. It is crucial that you can not only plan and manage your own work efficiently, but also have strong collaboration skills.
- Create organic nature assets such as vegetation, rocks and terrain, using SpeedTree, ZBrush, Maya and Substance.
- Place assets into levels to create beautiful landscapes, while collaborating with our Level Designers to ensure a fun game flow.
- You will also be responsible for the functionality of your assets, such as setup of destruction, and optimization to meet technical requirements.
- Work closely with the Game Director and Concept Artists to maintain a consistent world and support the direction of the game.
- Strong skills in organic modeling and texturing, with an understanding of technical constraints and pipeline, and how it affects asset creation.
- Experience creating art for AAA-level game projects.
- Proficiency with Maya, PBR workflow, and one or more current major game engines such as Unreal Engine.
- Strong understanding of form, environment composition, silhouette, detail distribution, and lighting.
- Willingness to learn tools, middleware applications, scripting and new techniques.
- Good collaboration and communication skills to work well with other departments.
- Good English communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience with SpeedTree.
- Good knowledge with other industry standard art packages such as Z-Brush, Substance and Modo.
- Understanding of shaders, either node based construction or code (hlsl).
- Level Design and Scripting experience is a big plus.
- Completed side projects such as indie-titles, mods or equivalent.
- Programming skills.
- A visionary mindset when it comes to exploring game systems and architecture.
We’re looking for the artist who is driven by working towards completing the game and artistic goal as a whole, even more than focusing in on the details. You’re good at communicating an artistic vision, self-critique your own work, and iterate on ways to improve the overall aesthetics. Ideally you have a few years of experience with creating high level art for big game projects and would like to move into a personal studio with a grand vision. We hope you have a lively passion for making and playing games!
Scope: Full-time and permanent
If you think that this position matches your background and skills, we would love to hear from you. We ask that your application always include relevant work samples or a link to your portfolio.
To apply for this position please fill out the form below and include your resume, a brief cover letter, and portfolio/work samples. Alternatively, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your application, please focus on why your skills and experiences would be great for this role and why you would like to join Arrowhead Game Studios. We interview candidates continuously and hire when we find a good fit, so it is recommended you apply as soon as possible. If you live outside of the country, please also be aware that we are unable to offer relocation packages at this time, and you must have a valid working permit.
About Arrowhead Game Studios
Arrowhead Game Studios is a growing team of about 40 people, known for our co-op titles. By challenging the creativity of the players we create a memorable experience with humour and social interaction, that leaves you with a story to tell. Our custom tailored new offices are located in the newly developed Stockholm Seaside area, with a lovely view at the waterfront.
We are now working on our biggest and most ambitious project to date. If you want to be part of a driven and friendly team with a family feeling, then Arrowhead is the place to be!
arrowheadgamestudios.com ~ 40 co-workers