Are you passionate about programming great gameplay and have a couple years of experience in the games industry? Then this position could be for you!
We are now hiring a versatile Gameplay Programmer to join our kick-ass team in the heart of Stockholm. You’ll play a fundamental role in creating fun and engaging gameplay experiences in our current project and beyond.
About the job
As a Gameplay Programmer your main responsibility will be implementing and maintaining gameplay features and mechanics together with the AI team. You will work with different features on our current game project, such as enemy movement, combat systems, AI decision-making and AI player interaction.
Your job will not just be development based on others’ design, you will also collaborate with other teams to craft and feedback on features on a regular basis. Together with your AI team you will help Directors and Designers implement the vision of the game, while focusing on the entire game experience.
Each team member at Arrowhead has an important influence on the game and is involved in the decision-making process. We offer a driven and creative environment where small groups work independently within cross-disciplinary feature teams. It is crucial that you can not only plan and manage your own work efficiently, but also have strong collaboration skills.
- Work together with your team to translate the enemy design into engaging gameplay features.
- Create and maintain systems enabling scripters to bring enemies to life.
- Participate in team meetings to feedback and discuss on design.
- Prototype ideas to test the validity of features and identify technical possibilities and obstacles.
- Build and implement well-engineered, scalable solutions with memory, performance and network stability taken into account.
- Take responsibility for delivering a challenging and fun end-user experience.
- Support and collaborate with other feature teams, focusing on the game experience as a whole.
- Regularly play test and provide feedback on the game.
More about you
We see the perfect candidate as having a strong motivation for completing and pushing the game forward as a whole. You are explorative and proactive with good problem solving capabilities. In your role you enjoy digging into different areas of the game, and have a particular passion for exploring what makes gameplay enjoyable. With a cooperative mindset you enjoy collaborating with other teams in your daily work. We think you are both hard-working and enjoy a good break and chat with your colleagues.
- Excellent C/C++ skills.
- At least 2-3 years of professional gameplay programming experience in the video games industry.
- A passion for creating an enjoyable gaming experience and an interest in game design.
- Great understanding of game technologies such as physics, animation, artificial intelligence and the ability to use them to create fun and emergent gameplay.
- Hands on experience with multiplayer game programming, ideally in a peer-to-peer environment.
- A solid 3D math foundation in linear algebra, vectors and matrices.
- Interest and willingness to learn tools, new methods and stay up to date with what is happening in the field.
- Good collaboration and communication skills with a cooperative attitude.
- Good English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience working with both console and PC games, and in particular action co-op titles.
- Worked as a gameplay programmer on one or more AAA titles from start to finish.
- In-depth familiarity with Arrowhead’s games is plus.
- Experience working with character scripting, animation state machines, animation blending and similar techniques.
- Familiarity with component-based programming and peer-to-peer networking.
Scope: Full-time and permanent
If you think that this position matches your background and skills, we would love to hear from you. We ask that your application always include relevant work samples or a link to your portfolio.
To apply for this position please fill out the form below and include your resume, a brief cover letter, and portfolio/work samples. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com
In your application, please focus on why your skills and experiences would be great for this role and why you would like to join Arrowhead Game Studios. We interview candidates continuously and hire when we find a good fit, so it is recommended you apply as soon as possible.
About Arrowhead Game Studios
Arrowhead Game Studios is a growing team of about 40 people, known for our co-op titles. By challenging the creativity of the players we create a memorable experience with humour and social interaction, that leaves you with a story to tell. Our custom tailored new offices are located in the newly developed Stockholm Seaside area, with a lovely view at the waterfront.
We are now working on our biggest and most ambitious project to date. If you want to be part of a driven and friendly team with a family feeling, then Arrowhead is the place to be!
arrowheadgamestudios.com ~ 50 co-workers